Objective: To promote the rule of law through strengthening the capacity of the criminal justice system of the Kyrgyz Republic.
Programme Components :
- Legislative Reform: Development of criminal legislation in line with international standards; Enhancement of multi-agency coordination and policy development of crime prevention and criminal justice.
- Crime Prevention: Strengthening dialogue among local self-governance bodies, police and communities on crime prevention; Development and implementation of local crime prevention strategies.
- Police Reform: Introduction of new recruitment and performance evaluation policies for the police; Establishment of police stations in line with community policing principles; Development of measures aimed at increasing gender and minority representation in the police; Strengthening police oversight and accountability mechanisms.
- Forensic Services: Modernization of infrastructure and capacity development of the State Forensic Centre under the Ministry of Justice; Enhancement of forensics expertise quality via development of standard operating and quality control procedures.
- Prison Reform: Enhancement of the management capacity of the prison service through the provision of training and expert advice; Development of social reintegration policy, improvement of living conditions in prisons, with a focus on sanitary infrastructure and facilities; Increasing coordination between the prison service and other law enforcement bodies in the area of drug control, prevention and harm reduction.
Donors for the project were:
- United Nations Peacebuilding Fund ;
- European Union ;
- United States of America ;
- Sweden ;
Implementing organisation: UNODC Address: 31-2 Razzakov Street, Bishkek 720040, Kyrgyz Republic, Tel: + 996 312 32-17-32, 32-17-33, Fax: + 996 312 32-18-93; Website: www.unodc.org